- Progress updates
- Advance notice: Call for founder members
- Where to find information about Biomakespace
- Meeting timings (Doodle poll available!)
1. Progress updates
- We have access to the actual space from August 4th, 2016, and an official move-in date is forthcoming. Access cards are available from Jenny Molloy at Biomakespace meetings.
- We are aiming to have the space fully opened and will be holding our launch event in January 2017.
- Signing the lease is in progress, and our final rent calculations will be completed shortly.
- We have a constitution to be voted on at the next meeting, and will soon incorporate as a non-profit company limited by guarantee.
- We have received a lot of equipment donations! Our current inventory list is available on our Lab Design page.
2. Advance notice: Call for founder members
We wanted you to be the first to know that we will be putting out a call for initial founder members at the end of August.
Our basic membership subscription will be £15 per month, which covers 24 hour access to the fully furbished space, use of all laboratory equipment and access to communal resources such as waste management. It also entitles you to apply for group project grants, stand for the various committees and access free and subsidised consumables stock (not to mention purchasing your very own biomakespace lab-coat!)
We hope that our founder members will pledge the initial 3 months of subscription (£45), which will cover the first three months of membership after the space opens in 2017.
A concessions rate starting at a minimum of £5 per month is also available to students, pensioners and those in receipt of benefits.
As we are a non-profit company, any donations above the minimum membership fee would be greatly appreciated. Any donations will be used to cover our essential running costs.
(Please note that these membership rates do not cover consumables. Biomakespace will keep inventory stock that can be purchased at a subsidised rate; alternatively consumables costs can be funded through project grants or purchased directly by individual members.)
3. Where to find information about Biomakespace?
- The Synthetic Biology Meetup group is where we advertise all organisational meetings. Currently we meet every Thursday at 7pm at Makespace Cambridge, but see the doodle poll below to have your say on potential new meeting times!
- Our website (https://biomake.
space) is an open wiki that can be edited by any member. It includes our current equipment inventory, meeting minutes and much more!
- We regularly chat using our instant messaging service for quick conversations.
- A regular newsletter will be sent to our email mailing list approximately once every month - if you have any friends who would like to sign up, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Finally, if you need access to our Google Drive to assist with planning and documentation, please let us know so we can establish access.
4. Meeting timings
We have opened a doodle poll to discuss a second possible weekly meeting time, to allow those members who cannot attend on Thursday evening the opportunity to meet up face-to-face!
Please fill out your availability by Friday 5th August - the results will be announced shortly afterwards.
If you have any questions, suggestions, or if you would like to find out more about how you can help, please feel free to get in touch using our email address email@example.com.
We look forward to seeing you in the future!
The Biomakespace Team